Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Obama´s visit and stuff happened

President Obama was in Chile yesterday.  I didn´t see him, but I did visit my embassy to register my trip.  It´s a very nice complex with a beautiful rose garden.
You may have heard on the news that some shit went down last night, or not.  Some shit did go down.  At least it looks like it.  I wasn´t there.  I may have been across town or in my hostel room when it went down.  There were riotous protests on the streets of El Centro because of the president´s visit.  I saw many carabineros on the street last night in all states of preparedness: riot suits, motorcycles, shields, armored transports.  They were keeping the peace because when the shit went down many things were broken, like glass doors and storefronts.  I have some pictures, but the connection speed is lousy here.  I will share all of my pictures later.

I went to the Wines of CHile office yesterday and they were as helpful as they could be.  They did indeed have a list of the addresses, names and phone numbers of their members readily available.Using that list and my my basic knowledge of the neighborhood, I visited all the offices in that neighborhood.  I got quite lost going to one office because one street sign had been printed backwards; the street numbers ascended in the wrong direction.  My mission is challenging.  Even when I meet receptive people, I still cannot understand what they are saying.  I think their word for "resumé" sounds very much like "curriculum."  I thought they thought I needed school credit or something.  Today I plan to tackle more of Los Condes neighborhood, and the World Trade Centre Santiago.  I must compare my address list to my google map points before I venture out.
I like waking up early to get stuff done, except for the waking up early.

I've also got a problem that will probably reoccur.  I went on a winery tour Saturday and got a glass to keep.  I don't trust glassware in my luggage.  I am considering FedExing it back home.

It has been nice living here at this hostel, but I must check out Thursday.  They are fully pre-booked that night.  There are plenty more hostels nearby, and I think that I'll only need a night or two before I take a bus to another city to stay and visit the vineyards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home