Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Early morning report on today and yesterday.

Good morning.  I have found the only time to do any good computering is before anyone else wakes up.  Today I must locate FedEx and/or Correo Chile offices so I can mail a package home.  I'd feel more secure with FedEx because it is a trusted brand.  I know there's an office somewhere nearby, but I cannot remember where.
Good news.  I can stay here until Saturday morning.  When I had asked before, I was told they were boooked full.  I checked again last night.  Saturday I will travel to another city to see the countryside.  I need to pick one.  I have a list.  I'm leaving it on the table to travel sooner if I visit enough offices before.  There are a few that are outliers that I might skip because they're so out of the way.

Yesterday was mediocre.  Nothing good happened, but nothing bad did either, except in my head.  Not good is just about equal to bad in my opinion.  Yesterday was difficult for finding the offices because my maps were lacking fine detail.  I made my way to many offices, and some that counted for multiple viñas, but it was tough.
I was thinking a lot about victory and winning attitudes.  I am not 100% behind the idea of me finding a gig and moving here, to be completely honest.  I figured I'd leave Chile with empty hands but a full head, if you understand.What I'm getting at is I doubt my capacity for victory.  It is not so much a question of motivation as it is inspiration and commitment.  Seriosuly, if I land a gig I'll have to look at myself and say, "ok, you're moving to Chile now."  Yipes!  A matter ofinternal inspiration rather than external motivation.
I kept thinking that my time off would have been better served by doing conventional domestic job searching.  I question the value of this trip.  I could more easily have explored North Carolina for a starter wine job.  I feel like I set myself up for adversity, just to humor the voices that said I ought to travel.  I still think that damn guest from New Years was a bitch.  She egged me into travelling with a blowhard adult lecture.  Do you dig that I do not UNDERSTAND the hows and whys of youth globetrotting?  Anyway, I'm quite conflicted and confused.  I'll press on because I feel better than yesterday again.  Yesterday was lousy because I got a late start, despite waking up early.  I kept having to wait or wander around for stuff.  Today I decided to not wait and ounced on the computer with my notebook and maps to devise my plan of attack today.  It is still a drag when the roommates sleep til noon.  I´d always learned to defer to the sleeper out of politeness, but not anymore.  The sleepers were in my way and I must function!
My own idea of the victory scenario looks like this.  I visit an office (or vineyard) and meet an enthusiastic American with rank who is happy to see me, my interest, and impressed by my ballzy plan of action.  I know one office told me their winemaker is from UCDavis.
Literal foreign affairs aren't happening either.  Hell, most of you know I barely have any domestic affairs.  The way I operate, I can only focus on one big goal at a time, and right now that goal is business. Just so you know, most of the girls here are only fair to middling in appearance, or have a man or a child.  It is also difficult to judge age: the young girls look too young and the older girls are clearly older.  Naturally, English language profieciency is a requisite for an affair.  I may overhear people spleaking English on the street, but I certainly don't approach.  We're all still strangers.

Oh, this is funny.  Yesterday I worked out of an internet cafe for about an hour.  The proprietors are Indian, how strange.  There are also plenty of Chinese restaurants around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home