Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Valparaiso and Halfway

I'm in Valparaiso now.  My first impression of the hostel is negative.  The location is hostile to my luggage.  The front door is on a sloped and cobbled sidestreet.  The building itself is full of stairs.  At least I only have to carry my luggage out once.  Also, the staff seems less capable in English.  This worries me since I will naturally need their help to get around.  I had a nasty surprise when I checked in.  The lock was missing from my suitcase.  I believe I dropped it back in the ticket office in Los Andes.  That was my sentimental lock. I had it for about twenty years.  I can easily buy a new lock on the street. Street vendors sell almost everything.  I can use one of my others in the meantime.
The plan is to see the town and seaside tonight and tomorrow, then jaunt out to see the wineries in Casablanca.  I must also find a money exchange.  Of course, this hostel only takes cash and the local tax is 19% on Chilean pesos.

If you've been counting, today is my second week since I arrived.  I said to myself I'd give myself til now to decide to stay or return early.  My business is unfinished so I will stay for now.
This weekend back in Santiago is Lollapalooza.  It is not part of my plan.

*I should also note that I lost a flipflop at my previous hostel.  I left them outside to dry and a one of the dogs must've run off with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home